Alexandre Tektumanidze is a 17-year-old pupil from Tbilisi, who has been famous for his love of technical subjects since childhood. Currently, he is developing the device, which will enable people to control over their dreams. “Doctrina” has interviewed Alexandre about the innovative idea:
– Tell us about lucid dreams, please and when you got interested in this phenomenon?
– My friend tell me about lucid dreams when I was the 8th grader. A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper realizes that he’s dreaming and can control it. If we compare an ordinary dream to lucid one, we can say that if in the first case we look at it from a distance, like a film, in case of lucid dreams, we are part of our dream, just like in the video games.
– Currently, you work on the device that will allow us to control our dreams, tell us how will your device work?
– The dream is a good topic to discuss, but we can say briefly that in one of the phases of sleep – REM, humans see the dream. If by using an optimal irritant we inform them that they are sleeping, humans will be able to realize the dreams. Currently, I am conducting research to find optimal irritant and the methods of detecting REM phase.
-I managed to build my first device at on one of the Olympics- “Hackathon”. It was an unpolished Beta version that was created for the presentation and not for use. And now, I try to make my idea a tangible reality.
– At first glance, you have a rather strange initiative, what is the impression of people when they learn about your project?
-The impressions are usually different. If a person has never seen such a dream so far, it is hard for him to believe that he can realize in the dream that he is dreaming. And for people who have experienced lucid dreaming, this idea is exciting because they know how good they feel in lucid dream.
– And what about your nearest future plans?
– I want to go to the university this year. If everything goes according to my plans, I will study at Moscow Technical University “МФТИ” from September. I’m going to graduate with a bachelor’s degree and then continue studying in Europe or America. I have not verified the future field of work since I have to choose between engineering, physics and programming.
Author: Tamar Devdariani
Translation: Tamar Tabatadze
The Hall of Young Scientists & Analysts – “Doctrina”